In North Carolina, there are 3 ways to vote:
- Early Voting–For the 2024 primary, the early voting period will span from February 15th to March 2nd. Here are a few things to note:
- If you vote early in NC, you do not have to go to your assigned precinct. You can vote at any early voting location in the county in which you are registered. This site will allow you to look up early voting locations in your county
- In NC, the early voting period allows for same-day voter registration—that is, you can register to vote or update your registration status at the polls during the early voting period. You cannot do so on Election Day in NC
- In order to vote in person in NC, you must now show an approved photo ID at the polls. Your UNCA ID card will work!
- More detail about NC Early Voting can be found here
- Election Day voting–Election Day for the 2024 primaries falls on Tuesday, March 5th. Here are a few things to note:
- On Election Day, voters in NC must vote at their assigned polling location. You can find your assigned polling location by searching yourself here
- There is no same-day voter registration on Election Day in NC
- In order to vote in person in NC, you must show an approved photo ID at the polls. Your UNCA ID card will work!
- Absentee Voting–NC voters are eligible to vote by mail in elections. Here are a few things to note:
- You do not need special circumstances or an excuse to vote by mail in NC—all NC voters are eligible to do so.
- You can request an absentee ballot through the online portal or through the paper form, which you can print, complete, and mail
- Absentee ballots can be requested now, and the deadline to request one is Tuesday, Feb. 27, 2024 by 5 PM. However, we recommend requesting your ballot as soon as possible.
- More information about vote by mail can be found here
If you plan to vote outside of N.C., see this page for more information.